- The Kindness of Strangers, Kate’s first book, is an account of her work as a reporter and how she became one. It was published by Headline in 2002 and remained on the Sunday Times best seller list for 37 weeks.
- Corsets to Camouflage is an illustrated companion history to the Imperial War Museum’s exhibition about women in uniform, published by Hodder & Stoughton to coincide with the exhibition's opening in the autumn of 2003
- Nobody’s Child: The Lives of Abandoned Children, Hodder & Stoughton London 2005, formed the basis of the BBC 1 documentary series, Found
- Into Danger, Hodder & Stoughton 2008, is a study of men and women who risk their lives for work
- Fighting on the Home Front: the legacy of women in World War I, Hodder & Stoughton 2013, became a BBC 2 documentary broadcast as part of the Corporation’s WW1 Centenary Season